Tuesday, August 18, 2015

How to Eat Healthfully

When people hear the phrase "healthy eating" they usually think about losing weight. However, regardless of whether or not you want to lose weight, it's still important to make the right food choices. I'm not saying you should never eat sweets or that you can't ever have junk food, but you should really try to limit unhealthy and processed foods  and increase your intake of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc. I just want to share with you some of my tips on how to eat a well balanced diet and less unhealthy foods.
1. Five Servings of Fruits and Vegetables Daily


I know you've heard it plenty of times, but it's true! Your body needs these fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables provide lots of vitamins and minerals that your body needs to function. They also boost the health of you skin, hair, and nails. What you may not know is that some fruits and vegetables are actually negative Calories.


Yes, negative Calories! Your body burns more Calories eating and digesting these foods than what is actually in the food! Of course, you still have to eat them in moderation, but all the work your body does to digest these foods explains why you feel fuller faster when eating fruits and vegetables.
I've found that when I try to eat five servings of fruits and vegetables daily, I end up cutting out other unhealthy foods. I also feel much more agile and less sluggish. It makes it a lot easier to work out, too.
2. Make Sure Your Sweets are Actually Treats
Sometimes, all we feel like doing all day long is eating sugar, but treating that craving never actually satisfies you. 
That's because sometimes your brain just tells you you want sugar when you don't even really want it anymore. Sugar is addictive. It has addictive properties on your brain. If you really want to enjoy your sweets, then don't have them that often! Sugar is supposed to be a treat! How is something a treat if you have it twice a day?! I know, I'm writing this and I myself don't always stick to it, but I suggest only having sweets 1-3 times a week. When you have them less often you will appreciate them more fully :)
3. Eat a Healthy Breakfast

Never, and I repeat, never skip breakfast! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! It fuels you, gets your metabolism going, and keeps you from eating more later in the day. Get this! People who eat breakfast generally weigh less than those who don't. That's because when you skip breakfast, you are more likely to make poor eating choices throughout the rest of the day and your body has not had it's initial chance to start its metabolism. Also, when you get up, you usually haven't eaten for awhile. If you skip breakfast, that space between last night's dinner and this day's first meal gets even wider. Supposedly, when you go more than 12 hours without eating, your metabolism slows down by 40%. That explains why it's important to eat when you get up. 
4. Drink Water

Water is important. Your body uses it to flush out toxins, dispense of waste, keep your skin moisturized, and so much more. You should try to make most of what you drink water. It's surprising how much sugar is in sports drinks and juices that are supposed to be good for you. If you have trouble remembering to drink, than carry a water bottle around with you.
5. Learn Healthy, New Recipes
Get motivated to eat healthfully by finding some new recipes you've never tried before! Here are some that I really want to try! To see more, follow my healthy recipes board on Pinterest. 
My computer won't let me not underline the rest of that sentence until I drop down a line. Ugh. Computers assuming you want them to do things that you don't want them to do.

Vegan Chickpea Tacos
These look really good! I think the chickpeas would taste just as good as meat. You can use dairy free sour cream if you want, but since I'm not vegan, I'd probably use a low fat dairy kind.

Falafel

Falafel is something I've always wanted to try but never actually have. Maybe I'll finally make some this week!

Oatmeal Energy Clusters
I think I may have tried this recipe before. Anyway, I've made something like it. This is a quick snack that will satisfy your sweet craving in a healthy way.

There you have it! I hope you'll consider my top five ways to eat healthier!

No comments:

Post a Comment