Monday, August 3, 2015

Beauty: How to Have Healthy Hair

Healthy, shiny, lustrous hair. Something we all aspire for.
 It's not always easy, though. Sometimes we buy suave shampoo because it's really cheap, we throw our tangled, wet hair into a messy bun, we go half a year without cutting it... I don't know anyone who isn't guilty of doing some of these things. It's impossible to go through life treating your hair perfectly, but you can make a few changes to your daily routine to boost the health of your hair.
1. Limit Direct Heat
This is a hard one for some people, but it's true. Straightening your hair is one of the easiest ways to make it frazzled and damaged. I'm not saying you should never straighten your hair, but do not do it every day. Save it for special occasions. When you do straighten it, use a heat protecting spray. Don't keep going over the same piece of hair with the flatiron, or that will really damage it. Make sure the heat isn't up too high. Curling irons aren't as damaging as flatirons, but still be careful. If you have time, let your hair air dry instead of blow drying it. 
2. Use Good Quality Shampoo
I know, Biolage is expensive and VO5 is extremely cheap. However, it's worth it to make a little investment and buy a good quality shampoo. Hair has a pH ranging from 4.5 to 5.5, which means it's acidic (remember from chemistry class?). Drugstore shampoos can have a pH up to 9. Wow. I've never used it before, and it's pretty expensive, but from the research I've done, it looks like Nexxus is one of the best pH balanced shampoos. 
3. Don't Go Too Long Without Cutting Your Hair
It's really hard when you want to grow your hair out. Especially if it's curly. But really, you shouldn't go more than three months without cutting your hair. I try to think of it this way. Is it really worth it the length that it is if there are split ends? The answer is usually no. Shorter healthy hair looks better than long hair with split ends. Even if you have some sort of magical hair with ends that don't get split, I would still recommend getting it cut a few times a year just to keep it healthy. 

Those are my main tips! These are just a few extra things that I may have or have not tried that it won't hurt you to try! Wow. That was a terribly worded sentence. Anyway, here they are.
Natural Hair Mask
I know it sounds kind of gross, but from what I've heard, hair masks made out of natural ingredients can really help your hair. I found this recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens magazine. 
Ingredients: 
1 ripe avacado
2 Tbsp plain yogurt
2 tsp honey
1. Blend ingredients in a shallow bowl to make a smooth paste.
2. Massage mixture into damp hair and then cover with a shower cap or old cotton towel.
3. Let mixture soak into hair for 20 minutes, then rinse and shampoo.
I might try this tonight!
Argan Oil
I've been using this in my hair since January. It doesn't really penetrate into the hair; it kind of just coats the top layer, but it can make a little bit of difference with frizziness. I have pretty curly hair, but I imagine you'd see more of an affect on straightish wavyish (I know those are not words) hair. However, I would not recommend it if you have fine, oily, pin-straight hair. 
Scalp Massage
I haven't tried much of this, but I have a friend who says it works. Here are some directions. Link
I think I going to try to start doing this. I'll tell you how it works! (If I remember).
So these are my recommendations! Let me know how they work for you!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment